Hogeschool van Amsterdam

Amsterdam School of International Business

Working as a non-EU student in the Netherlands

31 Dec 2018 13:02 | Faculty of Business and Economics

Most students have a part-time job while studying, both domestic and international students. International students who have a non-EU nationality can now work longer hours per week. Non-EU students will be allowed to work 16 hours per week. Students from the EU/EEA or Switzerland are able to work as many hours as they may choose, with no restrictions.

Non-EU students are allowed to work 16 hours per week during your academic year. It is important to note that compensation hours are still forbidden and must not be accepted. Additionally, as a non-EU student, you are allowed to work 40 hours per week during the months of June, July and August.

In order to work legally in the Netherlands, your employer must obtain you a work permit (TMV), at the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). You are not allowed to apply for a work permit (TMV) yourself. On the contrary, a work permit will not be necessary if a student needs to do an internship as part of a study programme. In this case, however, an internship agreement must be signed by the educational institution and employer. 

Despite the financial benefits that working may bring, it is recommended that the student assesses the pros and cons of working while studying.
Be realistic and make sure that combining work and studies is feasible for you and that it will not affect your results in both work and university. 

Here you can find the most popular search job sites in the Netherlands. 

I am Expat

Indeed NL (Website is Dutch but English vacancies are available).

Glassdoor (Website is Dutch but English vacancies are available).


Happy job searching and good luck!