Hogeschool van Amsterdam

Amsterdam School of International Business


2 Mar 2020 12:43 | Amsterdam School of International Business

The Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences is following the spread of the coronavirus closely and will take appropriate measures as required.

Considering the situation is changing on a daily basis, protocol also changes, and therefore we do not have all the answers.

AUAS is following the advice of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM), click for Dutch and English , and the World Health Organization . If any changes occur in the recommendations/advice of these organizations, AUAS will act accordingly. Please find below the Q&A.

What's the AUAS doing?

The AUAS has a Central Crisis Team (CCT) which is working together with the Decentral Crisis Teams located at the Faculty level. Together we are working on a strategy as the situation develops.


It's not permitted to travel to code red or orange areas (RIVM classification) for study or work. Travel to other areas where educational activities have been halted is also forbidden. Caution is advised for other destinations.

Areas where infections have not yet been detected may become risk areas at a later date. For visitors from abroad, the same RIVM and GGD guidelines apply at the AUAS as elsewhere in the Netherlands.

I have planned an exchange, internship or business trip on behalf on the AUAS broad. Can I go or not?

Students and employees who have planned to travel abroad in the coming period, are prohibited to travel to regions that are flagged red or orange by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Click here to check travel advice from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (link in Dutch).

I am in an affected area for exchange/internship or for work. What should I do?

Students and employees who are currently staying in an affected area are advised to stay informed about the development by regularly checking different sources such as the local protocol issued by government or university, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the RIVM and the World Health Organization. If in doubt about your situation, you may contact coronainfo@hva.nl .

I have to cancel my exchange. Will I get a study delay?

Currently the AUAS is discussing how to best deal with this situation. As soon as a clear policy has been formulated, it will be communicated.

I have flu-like symptoms but I have not visited a region with negative travel advice.

It is then likely that you have the common cold or flu, but it is wise to stay home and recover. Only when in serious doubt, contact your general practitioner by phone.

If you have questions regarding your study or work situation, please contact the AUAS at coronainfo@hva.nl . For urgent questions regarding the COVID-19, there is a national emergency number 0800-1351.

Please be aware that the information is subject to change.