Hogeschool van Amsterdam

AUAS Library

Copyright Information Point

For lecturers

As a lecturer, you alternate between being a creator and a (re)user of information. You have to follow specific rules related to institutions in higher education. The Copyright Information Point is about your rights and how to respect the rights of others.


As a lecturer, you alternate between being a creator and a (re)user of information. You have to follow specific rules related to institutions in higher education. You can find a great deal of information on this subject on the website of SURF.

The AUAS also has Copyright guidelines for lecturers. The fold-over card Copyrights for lecturers (Word) contains a summary of the above-mentioned guidelines and shows the different options for making material available to students. A printed fold-over card (in Dutch) can be obtained from the desk at the library locations.

License list

The License List contains all the journals for which the Library has a license, and shows whether or not articles or chapters from these journals can be incorporated in readers or MijnHvA.

Education support material

The Copyright Act stipulates that portions of a work may be used for teaching purposes without the prior permission of the copyright holder.

This concerns short extracts:

  • for non-fiction books, you can copy a maximum of 10,000 words, but no more than a third of the book;
  • for journals, newspapers or other periodicals, you are restricted to copying a maximum of 8,000 words, but no more than a third of the relevant article;
  • for literary writings, you may copy a maximum of 2,500 words or a maximum of 100 lines of poetry, but no more than a tenth of the work; 
  • photographs, illustrations, graphs, tables and diagrams count as 200 words, and only 25 of them may be copied from the same publication;
  • for sheet music:
    - song text: a maximum of one chorus and one verse;
    - musical notation: a maximum of five lines of music with a maximum of 20% of the original work.

(Digital) copies of these short extracts may be placed in a digital learning environment or distributed among the students enrolled in the course. In addition, you are obliged to clearly cite the source.

For longer extracts, you must obtain the prior permission of the copyright­holder. This also applies to the work of colleagues or to your own work after it has been published and you have transferred your rights.

Stichting UvO handles the payments to copyright holders. You report the incorporation of the long extract via the UvO web portal (Dutch). Use the customer number and password of your faculty. If necessary, contact the Library for more information.

Copyrights on your own publications

The copyright on publications of AUAS lecturers is owned by the AUAS (see the Collective Labour Agreement for Higher Professional Education (Dutch), Article E-7), unless other agreements have been made.

Linking to information on the web 

You do not require permission to link to copyrighted works that are accessible to everyone and that were published legally. You may also embed these works without permission, as long as you do not change the original rendering of the work. You are not required to add information about the source to the link, but it would obviously be proper to do so. Moreover, students will be able to determine the source if the link no longer works.

Readers and copyrights

The guide 'How to create a reader?' describes all of the steps that you must take to make readers available via the supplier/distributor Canon. You can go directly from the guide to the upload forms for readers in the Canon Webshop. There is a form for new or changed readers, and a form for existing, unchanged readers.

Need help? Contact the Library or your faculty's reader coordinator .

When putting together readers, it is essential that the proper arrangements have been made with regard to the copyrights.

It can sometimes be difficult to find good and reliable information to include in your reader. The information specialist of the Library will gladly help you with this. 

See also the SURF Rules of thumb for putting together readers (Dutch).

Audio and visual information

Audio and visual material also fall under the Copyright Act.
You do not need permission to play the work of others in the classroom. The used material must be relevant to your course, however, and it must complement your teaching and not serve as a substitute for your lecture.

You may place portions of the audiovisual material of others in a digital learning environment. The conditions are as follows:

  • it must support the teaching activities and not just be an embellishment;
  • the scope of the citation must correspond to what you aim to achieve with it; in practice, this means that short fragments of audio(visual) works should be used.
  • the cited work was lawfully published;
  • the source must be cited;
  • you may not make any changes to the cited fragment.

If you want to place a complete audiovisual work in the digital learning environment, you must obtain the permission of the copyright holder and pay a fee. See also the section Approaching copyright holders directly for permission on this page.

See the SURF Rules of thumb for the use of audio and visual material (Dutch) for the general rules. Go to Frequently asked questions about the (re)use of audio and visual material for information about specific subjects.

Royalty-free images

See the answer to How to find...? under Images.

The SURF page Rules of thumb for finding works with a license for reuse (Dutch) lists more options for finding royalty-free material.

Web lectures

You can visit the SURF site for information about web lectures and copyrights. View the information on weblectures on the site of Media and Education (Dutch). The AUAS web lectures are available via the site AUAS Web Lectures (Dutch only). These web lectures may be freely used for teaching.


The copyright of a thesis or graduation project is owned by the student. If you want do make a different arrangement, you must discuss this with the student. Theses are also checked for plagiarism. The AUAS has rules and practices concerning plagiarism (in Dutch only).

It will not always be possible to obtain permission to reuse a certain work via Stichting PRO. In that case, you will need to approach a copyright holder directly. This applies to, among other works, audiovisual material and books that are out of print.

You can use the following example letters and reminders (to be sent after approx. 2 weeks):

If you obtain permission:

If the publisher confirms that the book is indeed out of print and he/she grants you permission to reuse the work, you still need to register the book via the web portal of Stichting UVO (Dutch only). Please contact the Library if necessary. A reduced rate (info in Dutch only) applies to the reuse of out-of-print books.

This page is part of the Copyright Information Point of the AUAS. This information point also contains the answers to a variety of questions from students and researchers.

Published by  HvA Library 1 May 2020