Care and emergency leave

You can take paid care leave for the care of your loved ones. In addition, you may take emergency leave in urgent private situations. For example because your partner is giving birth, a sick child or a burglary. For other special personal circumstances that you can somewhat plan, you can take short-term leave of absence.

Care leave

You can take paid care leave to care for your partner, a parent or child if one of them is ill. You are also entitled to care leave for your or your partner’s step family, in-laws or foster family members. You can request care leave in accordance with your supervisor. You must put the agreements made about this in writing. If you use a leave planner, register in the "comments" column when and how many hours you take up care leave.

The care leave can also be granted for your brother, sister, grandparent, grandchild, roommate or friend. You must be able to show the exact relationship with this friend. In addition, you must be able to justify why you are the person who must take care of him or her.
Paid care leave is granted for a maximum of two times the number of hours that you work per week within a 12-month period. If, from a medical certificate, it is clear that your continuing presence with the patient is necessary for a longer period, this period can be extended.

Calamity leave and short-term leave

You may take emergency leave for the first relief of private problems that you must resolve immediately. This involves home burglary, emergency doctor's visits or a sick child you need to collect from school, but also when your partner is giving birth (see below).
Your wages will continue to be paid during this leave because the leave is necessary and the duration of the leave is limited. Your supervisor may not refuse you this leave. Your supervisor may, however, ask you afterwards to show why this leave was necessary.

Leave when your partner is giving birth

You are entitled to paid emergency leave on the day of the birth of your partner. If the delivery does not take place on a working day, this day will not be compensated. Next, you are entitled to birth leave.

Short-term leave

You can take short-term leave in special private situations that can more or less be planned. For example, if you have to report the birth of your child during working hours or make a doctor's or hospital visit that you cannot reasonably schedule outside of your working hours.
You can also take short-term leave if you have to accompany someone in your immediate environment to a doctor or hospital for a short period of time. The duration of the leave depends on the circumstances for which your leave is granted.

Published by  Administration Centre 6 February 2020