Special leave

The cao-hbo stipulates that under certain circumstances you are entitled to short or long special leave, either on full pay or unpaid. Short special leave will not be registered, it’s an agreement between you and your supervisor and it will not affect your leave entitlement.

Paid short-term special leave

If possible, request special leave at least a week in advance. If you need urgent special leave make sure to request it as soon as possible. This overview states the family events and the number of special leave days that you are entitled to:

  • four days in case of death of your partner, parent or child, including your or your partner’s parents-in-law, stepparents or stepchildren or foster children;
  • two days in case of death of blood relatives or relatives by marriage of yourself or your partner in the second degree. If, in this latter case, you are responsible for arranging the funeral or administering the estate: a maximum of four days’ leave;
  • two days for your civil wedding or church wedding or registration of partnership: a maximum of two days’ leave, in so far as the wedding day or days or the day or days the partnership is registered fall within this period of time;
  • one day for a wedding or partnership registration of blood relatives or relatives by marriage of you or your partner in the first or the second degree.

Unpaid short-term special leave

If you want to take unpaid leave or a day’s leave in the situations referred to below, you will be given the opportunity by the AUAS to do so.

  • official notice of your intended marriage (ondertrouw);
  • the death of a blood relative or a relative by marriage of yourself or your partner in the third and the fourth degree;
  • moving house other than when the place of work is changed;
  • the 25th, 40th and 50th employment anniversary or wedding anniversary or anniversary of the registration of the registered partnership of yourself and the 25th, 40th, 50th and 60th wedding anniversary or the anniversary of the registration of the registered partnership of the parents, including stepparents, parents-in-law or foster parents, of you or your partner.

Long-term special leave

It’s possible to request long-term special leave, for instance for a sabbatical. Your supervisor may attach conditions to granting the leave. The conditions comprise, in any case, an arrangement with respect to the pension contribution payments. In accordance with the provisions in the pension agreement of the General Pension Fund for Public Employees (ABP- Algemeen Burgerlijk Pensioenfonds), the employer will in all cases recover the minimum percentage set.

Furthermore, the starting point is that if the employee takes long-term leave exclusively in his own interest, the payment of the entire pension contribution, both the employer’s and the employee’s share, will be at the employee’s expense and if he takes long-term leave mainly in the public interest, the payment of the employer’s share will be at the employer’s expense. Activities performed mainly in the public interest could include activities for the benefit of development aid, teaching at Edukans, advisory work at UNESCO, etc.

Long-term special leave for political posts

If you accept a post as a member of the Dutch Parliament (Tweede Kamer), as a member of the Provincial Executive of a province or as a deputy ombudsman you will be granted unpaid long-term leave.
Please note that this will affect your leave entitlement, your holiday allowance and year-end allowance.

Published by  Administration Centre 24 September 2019