Travel expenses

AUAS reimburses part of the costs of commuting. In this respect, AUAS has decided to encourage the use of bicycles and public transport. Several forms of commuting are eligible for reimbursement. You cannot combine the different forms of reimbursement, with the exception of the tax-break scheme bicycle. It is for you to decide which form of reimbursement will best fit your circumstances.

Since 2021, only your actual travel days are reimbursed. For commuter travel and business trips, you can use an NS Business Card 2nd class without surcharge. For private travel, you need your own subscription or card.

As of 1 January 2022, employees who live less than 5 kilometres from work can apply for an NS Business Card for business trips. This is stated in the 2021 commuting allowance scheme, which has been extended until 31 December 2022.

Travel to work expenses

There are four different types of reimbursement for travel to work expenses:

Make sure to submit applications and changes as soon as possible and during the current calendar year, since retroactive reimbursement for a previous calendar year is not possible.

Information about the reimbursement over travel expenses can be found in the Commuting expenses compensation scheme.

Reimbursement of official travel

You can apply for an NS Business Card for official travel, also if you live less than 5 kilometres from your work address. You can register your journey afterwards in your NS account. If you do not have an NS Business Card and you incur official travel expenses for AUAS other than commuting expenses (e.g. work-related trips abroad), then you can claim for these. Claims (along with supporting evidence) can be submitted in DSPE. You can find more information under Official travel.

Employees with a disability

If you have a chronic illness or functional impairment that affects the way you travel (e.g. that you cannot travel by public transport), you are eligible for a kilometre allowance of €0.19 cents per kilometre and full reimbursement of parking costs or another form of transport reimbursement. You make your own arrangements about this with your manager. With your supervisor's approval, you can submit the agreements you have made to

For more information, please read the Addendum to the travel expenses scheme or look in the A-Z under Working with disabilities.

Published by  Administration Centre In case of a difference of interpretation, this translation cannot be used for legal purposes. In those cases the Dutch text is binding. 1 April 2022