Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences

Study progress monitoring

Following a Bachelor or Master's programme at AUAS? Want to know what the requirements are related to your study progress? We will guide you through it.


For international bachelor or master students with a residence permit for study purposes there are two study progress thresholds, see below for more information.


The BSA is a recommendation issued by the examination board regarding whether or not a student will be permitted to continue their studies in the degree programme in which they are enrolled. Only when the BSA is positive the student is permitted to continue the study. Students need to obtain 50 ECTS or more in their first year to fulfill the BSA study threshold. For more information and exceptions, please see this website.


Students with a residence permit for study purposes are obliged to obtain at least 50% of their required credits each year to continue to study at AUAS. If your study progress is not sufficient, we must report this to the IND and you may lose your residence permit.

There are three situations in which the IND progress monitoring is not applicable, please click on them for more information:

It is possible that due to personal circumstances you did not obtain 50 percent of your required credits. In this case you need to go to your student counsellor (studentendecaan), who can determine if you have an excusable cause that will exempt you from the IND study progress monitoring. Should you have an excusable reason, your student counsellor needs to make a declaration which will allow you to pursue your studies. Please note that this excusable reason is only applicable to your current study year.

If you are a last year student and will finish your studies before August 31th of this current study year, you do not have to worry about the study progress threshold.

If you have a different Dutch residence permit then purpose study, you might be exempted from study threshold. Please inform AUAS Immigration Affairs as soon as possible and send a copy of your residence permit (front and back) so we can check whether this is the case.

Published by  Student Affairs 26 May 2020