Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences

Registration with municipality

Are you going to study in the Netherlands? Will you stay longer than four months? Under Dutch law every person who is planning to live in the Netherlands for more than four months must register with the municipality of the town where they live.

The registration at the municipal administration is also an application for the BSN (burgerservicenummer = citizen service number or CSN). This registration is mandatory for all students and this number is needed for working, opening a Dutch bank account, for visiting a doctor or receiving hospital treatment in the Netherlands. You will receive a citizen service number (CSN) by post on your address in the Netherlands.           

On the Arrival Day you can register for the municipality of Amsterdam and Diemen. If you go yourself it will take a long time before you are registered, so it is highly recommended to register on this day. Officially, you have to register as soon as possible after your arrival in the Netherlands. If you do not have a place to live yet or live in another municipality, you cannot register on the Arrival Day unfortunately.

You will have to bring:

  • Your passport (or European Union ID card)
  • Copy of the identity details pages of your passport
  • Copy of your rental contract

If you do not have a rental contract, because you stay in the house of a friend or relative, the landlord/primary occupant/home owner needs to fill out a permission form

Notify the municipality on time if you change address

Unable to visit the Arrival Day?

Please note that you have to register as soon as possible after your arrival in the Netherlands.

Published by  Student Affairs 19 March 2020