Representative Advisory Councils

Participative decision-making at the AUAS

The AUAS has representative advisory councils at various levels within its organisation, to enable participative decision-making.

The Central Representative Advisory Council (centrale medezeggenschapsraad, CMR), represents the interests of AUAS students and employees, across the entire organisation. The Faculty Representative Advisory Councils (deelraden) perform the same role at the faculty level.

The representative advisory councils discuss the following topics with their board: the quality of education, financial matters, facilities, and topics related to students and employees. Some of the decisions taken by the Board require the consent of the related council, while in other cases the councils provide advice. The councils also have the right of initiative. They can propose topics for discussion, in which the Board is required to provide a response.

Council composition

Representative advisory councils consist of an equal number of students and employees. The representative advisory council for staff and service departments (DSD) is the only council exclusively for employees. Council members are elected every two years.

Participation in decision-making at the AUAS is based on the Dutch Higher Education and Research Act and is detailed in the Regulations for Participation in Decision-making.

When can you contact the councils?

Please contact a representative advisory council if you have any questions or suggestions about topics or issues at the AUAS that affect the faculty or the entire institution.

Employees can contact their line managers for immediate issues related to their work. However, if it's an issue that is relevant for all colleagues (or students) at the AUAS you should contact the central representative advisory council.

Questions or concerns relating to a specific faculty can be addressed to the relevant faculty advisory council.

If your question is better suited to another council you can rest assured that you will be connected with the right council/contact person.

Published by  Communication 21 January 2019