You can contact the student counsellor for advice on all kinds of personal problems and issues. The student counsellor will examine what's going on, its influence on your studies, how to prevent you from falling behind or dropping out, whether you would like support and from whom, etc. The interview is confidential. Always contact the counsellor quickly if circumstances are leading you to fall behind.

Disability and chronic illness

For example: physical disability, learning disorders such as dyslexia, psychiatric disorders, depression, anxiety, ADHD, rheumatism, chronic migraine, etc.

Illness and psychiatric problems

For example: glandular fever, (imminent) burn-out, surgery and rehabilitation, eating disorders, processing an abusive past or a shocking event, addictions, failure anxiety, postponement behaviour, hyperventilation, etc.

Family circumstances

For example: pregnancy, serious relationship problems, close family death or serious illness, parents with psychiatric disorders, intensive informal care requirements, etc.

Other personal problems

For example: serious financial problems, conflicts with co-student(s) or lecturer(s), etc.

The study counsellor makes an inventory of how personal problems are influencing your studying and advises on coping with the problems in relation to the study. The student counsellor also gives advice on the support options available within and outside the AUAS.

The student counsellor helps you gain recognition for your special circumstances, which may mean that you will be eligible for the facilities described below. Evidence of these circumstances is of course required. Should you have problems, please report to the student counsellor within three months.

The student counsellor can advise you about possible adaptations to your degree programme, such as:

  • extra assessment time
  • how to handle subjects that have compulsory attendance
  • adaptations to the internship, where possible
  • and other customised measures

If you obtain insufficient credits because of a disability, illness or other serious circumstances and there is a possibility of binding (negative) advice regarding continuation of studies (BSA), the student counsellor can advise the Examinations Board. Notification as soon as a problem occurs and evidence of circumstances are required.

The student counsellor can provide information about and mediate regarding applying for student grant and loan/tuition fee services.

The student counsellor can help you cope with reactions from co-students and the degree programme and can support you in handling your personal situation.

If you have not yet received support but do need it, contact the student counsellor to discuss what would be appropriate in your situation. This can involve support with personal problems or support to help you improve your study situation and study skills.
In the case of personal problems, we regularly make referrals to student psychologists and student doctors. UvA and AUAS sometimes run specific projects, such as mentor support for Autism Spectrum Disorder and ADHD. Of course, you can also seek support via your own GP or self-help websites.

We also often refer to the student psychologists for study-related problems. UvA's Student Careers Centre (SCC) can help in study choice and applying. UvA and AUAS also offer training courses and workshops you can follow, for example: Studying with dyslexia; failure anxiety; time management; personal effectiveness; etc. There are also sites and commercial bodies that can offer help and advice.

Published by  Student Affairs 29 April 2021