If you're coming to study at the Amsterdam Institute of Applied Sciences - and will live here for longer than four months - you need to register at the local municipality (gemeente).
To do this you can either:
- Make an appointment
- Visit the office in person
Making an appointment means less waiting time on the day of your visit. You can book your appointment ahead of your arrival here - a step we recommend.
To register at the municipality of Amsterdam, you can choose between 3 locations in Amsterdam. Make an appointment here(opens in new window).
Time slots fill up very fast so we recommend making an appointment ahead of your arrival.
You need to bring:
- your valid passport (or European Union ID card)
- printed copy of the identity details pages (personal details & photo) of your passport or copy of your EU ID card
If you have more than one nationality and more than one passport, you are required to bring all your passports.
- a printed copy of your rental contract
- your student ID card or proof of enrollment at the AUAS
Please prepare all the printed documents carefully before your appointment.
If you are going to live at Rode Kruislaan (De Key) or OurCampus, you will have to register at the municipality of Diemen, a neighbouring town of Amsterdam.
You need to bring:
- your passport (or European Union ID card)
- a printed copy of your passport (or European ID card)
- a printed copy of your rental contract (the pages with your full name and address)
- students who require visa: your residence permit. If you did not receive this yet, please show proof of your residence permit application (‘Kennisgevingsbrief’ in the email from AUAS Immigration Affairs)
- a printed copy of the completed registration form of the Municipality of Diemen (see link to pdf below)
Registration days Spring 2022:
You can choose to go to the municipality of Diemen on one of these specific dates between 13:30-16:00hrs:
- Thursday 3 February
- Friday 4 February
- Tuesday 8 February
- Thursday 10 February
- Friday 11 February
If you arrive after February 11th 2022, you have to make an appointment by calling:
- In the Netherlands: 020 3144888
- Outside the Netherlands: +31 20 3144888
Because of strict coronavirus measures, the municipality allows a max. number of students to enter the building at the same time. If you arrive with more students at the same time, please wait outside for your appointment and keep your 1.5m distance.
Diemen municipality address:
D.J. Den Hartoglaan 1
1111 ZB Diemen
Citizen Service Number (BSN)
Once registered, you will receive a citizen service number (burgerservicenummer/BSN). You will need this number when you open a Dutch bank account, visit a doctor, receive hospital treatment or start work. In most cases, you will receive a citizen service number(opens in new window) directly at your appointment with the municipality.
Don't have a place to stay yet?
Officially, you must register as soon as possible and within 5 days after your arrival in the Netherlands. If you do not have a place to live yet, you cannot register anywhere unfortunately.
No rental contract?
If you do not have a rental contract, because you stay in the house of a friend or relative, the landlord/primary occupant/home owner needs to fill out and sign a permission to register at address form(opens in new window) (pdf download). You need to bring this document as well to your appointment. This is for the municipality of Amsterdam only. For other municipalities, please check their procedure yourself.
Changing address within Amsterdam?
Notify the municipality on time if you change address(opens in new window).
Check the website of the specific municipality for how to register and what documents you need to bring. You might be required to bring a birth certificate as well.
The online Student Immigration tool is a handy way of finding the immigration information that is relevant for you: