1. Read up
Access information about the degree programme that you’re interested in. For example, prior to visiting the programme during the open day you can also review the information available in the course catalogue. You can also check whether your programme of interest has an Instagram or Facebook account.
2. Think about why you’re coming to the open day
Ask yourself what you want to get out of the open day:
- What do you want to know?
- What does a successful open day look like to you?
3. Ask questions
If you want to get answers, you have to ask questions: to yourself, to teachers and to students. Below are a few examples of the kinds of questions that you could ask.
- Which of my own interests and qualities do I see reflected in this programme?
- Will I feel at home here, alongside these students?
- Do others, such as my family or friends, think that this study suits me? Why or why not?
- What do I expect will go well for me in this study and what seems challenging?
Ask teachers and/or students:
- How would you describe the type of students that study here?
- What kind of assignments and lessons are characteristic of this programme?
- What common stumbling blocks do students face in this programme?
- What kind of jobs do graduates tend to have?
4. Join a live campus tour
From 14 February on you can join a live campus tour with many of our degree programmes and get to know them in person. This is in addition to the online open day. Come and take a look at the programmes that interest you and experience the atmosphere at the programme and in the building. In many cases the itinerary consists of a tour and meet and greet with students and teachers, and in some instances a brief introduction or a trial class.
5. Are you ready for the open day? Do a final check!
- Have you signed up for the open day?
- Have you prepared questions?
- Do you know who you want to talk to?
- Have you signed up for a presentation?
- Have you signed up for a live campus tour?
- Do you have the directions to the right building?
- Have you received your entry barcode?
Can you tick off all of the above? Then you are ready for the open day!
Who will you discuss your open day experiences with? It’s very useful to talk to someone afterwards. This conversation can help you to draw conclusions and to make a plan for the next steps.