Logo Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences - link to home page

Upon departure

We hope you have enjoyed your stay! When leaving the Netherlands or moving out of AUAS housing, you need to arrange a few important matters.

Accommodation check-out

Room check-out

Check your departure instructions with your housing provider. Please note that it might not be possible to hand in your room keys or schedule a room end inspection during weekends or holidays. Always notify your housing provider well before you leave.

How to leave your room behind

Clean your room thoroughly and leave your room without personal belongings and undamaged (in the same condition as you found it during check-in) to avoid a fine or deduction of your paid deposit. Check where and when you can leave any garbage or how to recycle or give away any goods or furniture. 

End of AUAS rental contract

If you rent through one of the AUAS housing partners, it is unfortunately never possible to end your rental contract early. All contracts are semester contracts, ending after the Fall semester or in Summer. For example: If you leave before or during the Christmas break, you still need to pay for the month of January.

Refund of deposit

If you have paid a deposit at the start of your rental contract, this amount will be refunded after your rental contract ends, on the condition that you leave the room clean, tidy and undamaged. Your housing provider may need a processing time of your deposit refund of max. 90 days after the end of your lease. It is unfortunately not possible to skip the rental payment of the last month and to deduct this amount from your deposit. So you will always still have to pay for the last month upfront (payment is due as usual at the end of the previous calendar month).

Deregistration or change address with the municipality

Leaving the Netherlands
Deregistration is not done automatically. You have to deregister with the municipality yourself and in time, to avoid being taxed while you no longer live in the Netherlands. If you are leaving the Netherlands just temporarily, only deregister if you are expecting to spend at least eight consecutive months abroad.

Municipality of Amsterdam
Send the municipality your deregistration request online (only possible with DigiD(opens in new window)), by post or at a city office. Check their contact details and notification deadlines here(opens in new window).

If you rent from housing provider Lieven De Key, you can deregister online on the De Key website(opens in new window). This makes the process easier, as De Key will forward your deregistration to the municipality for you. Please note that you will not receive a confirmation of the deregistration from the municipality.

Municipality of Diemen
Send the municipality your deregistration request by post. 

Departure form Diemen

If you live in a different municipality (e.g. Amstelveen), check with this municipality on how to deregister.

Moving to a different address within Amsterdam or Diemen? 

You need to notify the municipality of your relocation. Your BSN will stay the same.

Moving to a different municipality in the Netherlands?

You need to notify your new municipality of your relocation. Check with the municipality on how to register with them. Your BSN will stay the same.

The municipality will update your information in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP, Basisregistratie personen). If you continue your studies at AUAS, we will receive your new address automatically via the BRP. It is your own responsibility to make sure the municipality always has your current address, so please keep it up to date.

Appeal your municipal taxes

If you do not deregister from the municipality, you risk getting taxed in your home country. Even if you have deregistered, tax letters may still be sent to your address in your home country.

Local taxes

Anyone living in accommodation with a private bathroom and private kitchen is expected to pay local taxes for services such as rubbish collection (waste collection charge) and water treatment (water authority tax). These taxes are not included in your rent. The tax bill will be sent to you directly by the municipality of Amsterdam or the water authority. Because tax bills are sent once a year, you might receive it after your stay in Amsterdam has ended. Or you might not hear anything at all, if you are lucky. 

Appealing local taxes

I did not receive a tax letter
Great! You do not need to take any action.

Did you receive a tax letter?
For some students it is possible to get exempted from the local taxes. You do not need to pay these taxes for example if your income is low. There are certain (financial) requirements you will need to meet. Unfortunately, the housing team cannot assist you in these appeals, as these go beyond our knowledge and expertise. Please find the links below to ask for assistance directly at the specific authorities.

Appeal waste collection charge (afvalstoffenheffing)

Appeal water authority tax (Waternet - waterschapsbelasting)

Arranging housing after the first semester(s)

The AUAS can unfortunately only provide housing for the first year of your study programme. We cannot offer another room. You will have to find alternative housing by yourself after the end date of your current rental contract.

As you probably know, it is very hard to find affordable housing in Amsterdam. Therefore we strongly recommend to register with Studentenwoningweb(opens in new window) and ROOM(opens in new window), in case you have not done this already at the start of your stay. Both platforms work with a waiting list. The sooner you apply, the longer your waiting time (meaning: more chance of finding a new place). They offer affordable rooms with housing corporations such as DUWO and De Key.

You can find some other recommendations for finding housing independently here.

What else?

If you leave the Netherlands:

  • Close your Dutch bank account by notifying your bank. Recurring bank charges will be continued, if you do not close your account. Set your account balance to € 0,00 before closing the account. 
  • Cancel your Dutch health insurance. Be sure to file your insurance claims before leaving and before cancelling your insurance.
  • Cancel any other insurances or allowances
  • Cancel your rent benefit  (but be aware not to close your Dutch bank account too soon to receive your last allowance)
  • Hand in your residence permit(opens in new window) (non-EU only)
  • If you have furniture, books or a bike which you would like to leave behind, you could try to sell them or give them away for free. For instance at a second-hand shop or in the social media group of your building or on @uva.secondhand(opens in new window).
  • Donate your clothes! There are green deposit boxes all over Amsterdam.

Questions and support

Our Housing team is ready to assist you

+31 20 525 5372(opens in new window)
Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10:00-11:00 / Tuesday and Thursday 16:00-17:00 CET