AUAS Housing is meant as a 'soft landing' in the Netherlands. This way, exchange students who have just arrived and do not know the Netherlands yet, instantly have a place to stay (for up to one year). We offer a limited number of rooms. Therefore, we strongly recommend incoming students to apply as soon as the application opens. This page provides an overview of the terms and conditions, application dates and procedures and other practical information related to AUAS Student Housing for exchange students.
This page is intended for exchange students. Are you an international Bachelor or Master student? Please consult the housing applications procedure for Bachelor and Master students.
When will the housing invitation arrive for Spring Semester 2023?
1-3 November 2022: Email announcing housing procedure and link to housing portal.
Wednesday 9 November 2022, 9:00 AM (CET): Housing applications open in the housing portal (first come, first served).
And in the Fall Semester?
Early June 2023 (exact date TBA April 2023)
Step 1: Check your email for the invitation
- Between 1 and 3 November 2002, you will receive an invitation email from firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to start your housing application.
- This email will be sent to your AUAS email address. Please check your spam box as well.
- The housing application portal will be open for applications from Wednesday 9 November 2022.
- We recommend to add email@example.com to your 'safe senders' list of your email account. firstname.lastname@example.org is a 'no-reply' email address.
Step 2: Fill in the application form
- You need to activate your AUAS-ID(opens in new window) before you can access the housing application form.
Your AUAS-ID is a 5 to 7 letter code, sometimes followed by a number (please note that your AUAS-ID is not your student number). You should have received your AUAS-ID in a separate email. Please contact email@example.com if you have not received your AUAS-ID.
- Clicking on the link in the invitation email will take you to our online application form. The link will not work before the stated time and date.
- When many students open the link to the form at the same time, you will see an online queue for the application form and you will receive a random queue number. This queue number gives no indication of your position in your final housing application. It is strictly the number in the queue to enter the system.
- In the application form you will be asked to choose a monthly budget category. Base your choice on the information about budget categories and room types, other housing costs and the cost of living in Amsterdam.
- Requesting a specific housing provider, location or building is unfortunately not possible.
Apply as soon as the application form opens, because we work on a first come, first served basis. You do not need to wait until your exchange or course enrolment has been finalised or your visa procedure approved. If you wait too long, it might be too late to secure housing through the AUAS.
Step 3: Pay the AUAS housing fee
- Once you have completed the form, you will automatically be sent to the online payment page. Follow the instructions for paying the AUAS housing fee.
- You can pay in euros by credit card (Eurocard/Mastercard or Visa), PayPal or Ideal. Other payment methods are unfortunately not possible.
Step 4: Check your inbox regularly for a housing offer
- After submitting your housing application and paying the AUAS housing fee, check your email regularly to find out if you have been selected for student housing at one of our housing partners.
- You can expect a message from us within a few weeks, but not before the end of November 2022.
- Once you have been selected (after the end of November), you will first receive a message from firstname.lastname@example.org. After that, you will receive an offer from booking platform ROOM.nl(opens in new window) or one of our other housing providers (e.g. Lieven De Key), to book a room within a given time frame of a few days.
- No email in your inbox? Check your spam folder! If you receive a room offer, follow the instructions to confirm your reservation as soon as possible.
- We will also inform you if you have been placed on the waiting list if the number of applications exceeds the number of rooms.
Remember, housing in Amsterdam is scarce! So please note:
- you will receive one housing offer only. You cannot change the room or location offered.
- We are unable to send a second offer if the first offer does not meet your expectations.
- You will be given a very short time frame of a few days to book your room. Make sure you respond to the room offer immediately or as soon as you can! If you fail to respond by the given date, you may lose the room. The AUAS housing fee will not be refunded in this case.
- Be aware that many students are booking a room at the same time. So the availability can decline rapidly, even in the given booking time frame.
- You will only get one chance to reserve a room. If you miss this offer, we will be able to send another offer. This means that you must look for accommodation on your own.
- It may take several days to a few weeks before you will receive a room offer. Not all students will receive a room offer on the same day, nor will it necessarily be in the same order as students applied. However, once you have received the offer, it is important to proceed with step 5 as soon as possible.
- Some room offers in some buildings will not have the fixed end date in Mid August, but an end date in June or July due to arriving Summer School students. Unfortunately it depends on the availability of rooms which specific end date you will be offered. If you get a room offer with an earlier end date, we recommend that you find a hostel for the remaining days of the semester. We understand that this is far from ideal, but at least you have secured housing for almost the entire semester.
Step 5: Book your room by making your first payment
- After accepting your accommodation offer, your housing provider will inform you either by email or through your housing account about your tenancy agreement and further procedures.
- Sign and return your tenancy agreement according to the instructions given by the housing provider.
- Your room reservation is confirmed once you make your first payment to the housing provider. Instructions for making this payment will be provided by the housing partner.
- Be prepared: this initial payment can be a significant amount of money, as it will include administration costs, the first month's rent, and often a deposit.
Payment method at the housing provider
The first rental payment always has to be done by credit card (Visa or Eurocard/Mastercard). The creditcard has to be valid for at least 1,5 years from now. Other payment methods are unfortunately not possible. Monthly payments can be done by bank transfer. You will receive payment instructions from your housing provider.
Please note that:
- Room reservations are final. You cannot change rooms after you have made the reservation.
- If you cancel a reserved room we will assume you are no longer interested in AUAS student housing. You will not be offered another room and the AUAS housing fee will unfortunately not be refunded.
Arriving in Amsterdam
Did you accept your housing offer? Great! Now it's time to start your preparations. What practical matters do you need to arrange upon arrival in Amsterdam? Check our Arrival information.
Rooms might become available again during summer if applicants do not exercise their option to book their room. These rooms will be offered to students on the waiting list.
How do I know where I am on the waiting list?
We cannot give you your exact position on the waiting list, since several factors influence whether a housing match can be made. Examples are your time on the waiting list, your budget category, the rental period, gender (accommodations with roommates) and the availability of rooms.
What happens if I don’t get a room offer?
If the number of applicants exceeds the number of rooms, we will inform you as soon as possible (end of November). There is a small chance you will be offered a room at a later date. However, we strongly recommend to start searching for accommodation on the private market immediately.
What can I do while on the waiting list?
Keep looking for accommodation on the private market, and if you find a place by yourself, contact email@example.com immediately so we can remove you from the waiting list. You can request a refund of the AUAS housing fee yourself in your MyInfo file as long as you have not received a room offer from us.
Cancelling a housing request
If you cancel your exchange, don’t forget to notify the housing office. This means we cancel your housing request so we can make your accommodation available for other students. Check our cancellation policy.