AUAS Housing is meant as a 'soft landing' in the Netherlands. This way, students who have just arrived and do not know the Netherlands yet, instantly have a place to stay for up to one year. We offer a limited number of rooms. Therefore, we strongly recommend incoming students to apply as soon as the application opens. This page provides an overview of the terms and conditions, application dates and procedures and other practical information related to AUAS Student Housing.
This page is meant for international Bachelor's and Master's students. Are you an exchange student? Please consult the housing applications procedure for exchange students.
When will the housing invitation arrive for 2022-2023?
Tuesday 7 June 2022: Email with announcement housing procedure and link to housing portal
Wednesday 8 June 2022, 8:00 AM (CEST): Start time housing application in housing portal
Please note: All international students who are eligible for housing will receive an invitation for housing. Receiving this invitation does not mean that you have been (conditionally) admitted to your study programme or that your study enrolment is approved. The housing department has no information about your study programme admission progress.
Step 1: Check if you are eligible for student housing
You are eligible for our housing service when:
- You are an international student starting your first year of a full time English-taught Bachelor or Master degree programme and
- you are (conditionally*) accepted to your study programme
- You did not receive housing through the AUAS or Oncampus(opens in new window) in the past
- You currently do not live or have not lived in the Netherlands before
* The processing time of study applications can differ per faculty. Keep in mind that when applying (late) for a study programme, your study application might not receive the status ‘conditionally accepted’ in time for the housing application. The housing department works on a first come, first served basis and can unfortunately not prioritize students when their admission to the study programme has a long processing time.
If you meet the conditions above, you will automatically receive an invitation to our housing portal. If your situation is different, you can check with email@example.com to find out if you are eligible for AUAS student housing. AUAS cannot guarantee housing for international students starting a Dutch-taught degree programme, but we will try to assist you depending on availability.
Can I apply for AUAS Housing if I am younger than 18 years old?
Yes, most of the housing providers accept students younger than 18 years old. In some cases, they will ask your parents/legal guardian to sign the rental contract together with you (digitally).
Step 2: Check your email for the invitation to apply for student housing 2022-2023
On June 7th 2022, you will receive an invitation email from firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to start your housing application on June 8th 2022 in our housing portal and to pay the AUAS housing fee. This email will be sent to your AUAS email address or private email adress which you provided in Studielink. Please check both mail boxes and your spam boxes as well.
We recommend to add email@example.com to your 'safe senders' list of your email account. firstname.lastname@example.org is a 'no-reply' email address. if you have questions, please email email@example.com.
Step 3: Fill in the application form
Clicking on the link in the invitation email will take you to our online application form. The link will not work before the stated time and date! In the application form you will be asked to choose a monthly budget category. Base your choice on the information about budget categories and room types, other housing costs and the cost of living in Amsterdam. Requesting a specific housing provider, location or building is not possible.
Accessing the application form with your AUAS-ID
You need to activate your AUAS-ID(opens in new window) before you can access the housing application form. Your AUAS-ID is a 5 to 7 letter code, sometimes followed by a number (please note that your AUAS-ID is not your student number). You should have received your AUAS-ID in a separate email. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com if you have not received your AUAS-ID.
Apply as soon as the application form opens, because we work on a first come, first served basis. You do not need to wait until your study enrolment has been finalised or your visa procedure approved. If you wait too long, it might be too late to secure housing through the AUAS.
Step 4: Pay the AUAS housing fee
Bachelor/master students will receive a housing invitation for the entire academic year (2 semesters) and pay the full 2 semester housing fee. The 1 semester housing fee is only available for exchange students who will study for 1 semester at AUAS.
Step 5: Check your inbox daily for a housing offer
After submitting your housing application and paying the AUAS housing fee, make sure to check your email daily the upcoming weeks to find out if you have been selected for student housing at one of our housing partners. If you have been selected you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org first. After that, you will receive an offer from booking platform ROOM.nl(opens in new window) or one of our other housing providers (e.g. De Key), to book a room within a given time frame. No email in your inbox? Check your spam folder! If you receive a room offer, follow the instructions to confirm your reservation.
- You will receive one housing offer only. You cannot change the room or location offered.
- We are unable to send a second offer if the first offer does not meet your expectations.
- You will be given a very short time frame of a few days to book your room. Make sure you respond to the room offer immediately or as soon as you can! If you fail to respond by the given date, you may lose the room. The AUAS housing fee will not be refunded in this case.
- Be aware that many students are booking a room at the same time. So the availability can decline rapidly, even in the given booking time frame.
- You will only get one chance to reserve a room. If you miss this offer, we will be able to send another offer. This means that you must look for accommodation on your own.
It may take several days to a few weeks before you will receive a room offer. Not all students will receive a room offer on the same day, nor will it necessarily be in the same order as students applied. However, once you received the offer, it is important to proceed with step 6 as soon as possible.
Step 6: Book your room by making your first payment
After accepting your accommodation offer, your housing provider will inform you either by email or through your housing account about your tenancy agreement and further procedures. Sign and return your tenancy agreement according to the instructions given by the housing provider. Your room reservation is confirmed once you make your first payment to the housing provider. Instructions for making this payment will be provided by the housing partner. Be prepared: this initial payment can be a significant amount of money, as it will include administration costs, the first month's rent, and often a deposit.
The first rental payment always has to be done by credit card (Visa or Eurocard/Mastercard). The creditcard has to be valid for at least 1,5 years from now. Other payment methods are unfortunately not possible. Monthly payments can be done by bank transfer. You will receive payment instructions from your housing provider.
Please note that:
- Room reservations are final. You cannot change rooms after you have made the reservation.
- If you cancel a reserved room we will assume you are no longer interested in AUAS student housing. You will not be offered another room and the AUAS housing fee will not be refunded.
Arriving in Amsterdam
Did you accept your housing offer? Great! Now it's time to start your preparations. What practical matters do you need to arrange upon arrival in Amsterdam? Check our Arrival information.
All housing applicants will be put on a waiting list. Available rooms will be offered to students on the waiting list, but not all applicants exercise their option to book their room or cancel their room. The room will then be offered to the next match on the waiting list. This means the waiting list remains open, so that rooms might become available again.
How do I know where I am on the waiting list?
We can not give you your exact place on the waiting list, since several factors influence whether a housing match can be made. Examples are your time on the waiting list, your budget category, the rental period, gender (accommodations with roommates) and the availability of rooms.
What happens if I don’t get a room offer?
If the number of applicants exceeds the number of rooms, we will inform you as soon as possible (end of June). There is a small chance you will be offered a room at a later date. However, we strongly recommend you to start searching for accommodation on the private market immediately.
What can I do while I'm on the waiting list?
- Keep looking for accomodation on the private market, and if you find a place by yourself, contact email@example.com immediately so we can remove you from the waiting list and refund the AUAS housing fee.
- We strongly advise you to also register on Dutch student housing websites long before your arrival in Amsterdam (as soon as you have registered for your degree programme). Registration on these sites is an important backup measure if the AUAS is unable to provide you with a room and/or it will prepare you for finding housing after your first year.
Cancelling a housing request
If you cancel your study enrolment at AUAS or if you found a place to stay by yourself, don’t forget to also notify the housing office of your wish to cancel your housing request so we can make other students happy with your spot. Check our cancellation policy.