Logo Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences - link to home page

Incoming exchange students

Some exchange students may need a residence permit. This page tells you where to find the information that applies to you.

Some exchange students need a residence permit to study at Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences. This is mainly the case if you come from outside the EU, and are not on a list of exemption countries. The first step in any case is to apply to AUAS, then our Immigration Affairs team will contact you to guide you through the residence permit process, if it is required. 

How do I find out if I need a residence permit?

The Netherlands' Immigration Service (IND) provides advice on whether you need a residence permit. Simply type in your nationality to see you if need a resident permit and what other steps may be required.

Check if you need a residence permit
(opens in new window)

How do I apply for an entry visa and a residence permit for study purposes?

You cannot apply for a visa and residence permit yourself - AUAS applies for it on your behalf. 

Your first step is to apply through your home university for exchange and fulfil the required steps for the AUAS faculty you want to study at. Visit the How to apply page for exchange students.

If you are accepted, and if you are a non-EU/EEA national, your AUAS faculty's International Office will provide you with more information on the steps you need to take.

When will Immigration Affairs contact you?

If you need a residence permit, AUAS Immigration Affairs will send you the immigration procedure e-mail a few months before your programme starts with all the necessary information. You will receive this e-mail:

  • For exchange programmes that start in September (Fall semester): in May
  • For exchange programmes that start in February (Spring semester): in November


How to prepare?

You do not need to undertake any action before these dates. However, you can prepare yourself in advance in three ways:

1. See an overview of your immigration procedure

See an overview of the procedure that applies to you on the IND website(opens in new window).

2. Check costs 

Check the Costs page to see which payments are necessary for the immigration procedure and for living in the Netherlands.

3. Check the Proof of financial means page

The Dutch Government requires all universities in the Netherlands to make sure that incoming students have access to sufficient funds to sustain themselves in the Netherlands during there studies. The Proof of financial means page will inform you about this requirement set by the Dutch Government and is therefore part of the immigration procedure but not a payment. This rule is applicable for all universities in the Netherlands. You will receive a refund of the proof of financial means when the immigration procedure is completely finalised.

4. Check if you need a tuberculosis test

Residents of some countries may need a proof of a negative tuberculosis result. The IND website(opens in new window) will inform you if this is the case for you.

Collect your residence permit

AUAS notifies you when your permit is ready. You must then make an appointment to pick it up from IND.

Find out how

More information

For more information read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) or use this student immigration tool(opens in new window).

Further questions?

If you're unable to find the information you need,  feel free to email us. Please note we are only available during office hours Central European Time.

Email Immigration Affairs
(opens in new window)