Logo Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences - link to home page

Binding study advice

At the end of each year, the examination board decides whether each student can continue their studies or not. This decision is called Binding Study Advice (BSA).

What is Binding Study Advice (BSA)?

During the first year of study you can obtain a maximum of 60 credits. Each study programme determines the minimum number of points you need to obtain to be allowed to proceed to the second year. If you obtain more than the minimum number of points, you will receive a positive binding study advice. If you do not achieve the minimum number of credits, you will receive a negative binding study advice. Unfortunately, this means that you cannot continue with your current studies. 

If your study advice was postponed in the previous year of your studies, you will receive a BSA at the end of the second year of enrolment. If you have successfully completed your propaedeutic year examination by then, you will receive a positive BSA. If you have not, you may receive a negative BSA. Students who suspended their studies and were readmitted to the same degree programme this year due to a postponement of their study advice may also receive a negative BSA.

What can you do in the event of a negative advice?

If you obtain too few credits and receive a negative binding study advice, you will not be able to continue with your study programme. That is of course not fun. But maybe there is another course that suits you better? To find out, you can talk to a choice coach. Together you discuss your options.

Talk to a coach

Personal circumstances

If you are experiencing a study delay due to your personal situation,  the Examination Board may decide not to give you a negative binding study advice. The Examination Board refers to the student counselor for advice on whether your personal circumstances have led to your study delay. If you think you will run into a study delay, please make contact with the student counsellor as soon as possible.

Find a student counsellor