Logo Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences - link to home page

Bachelor's or Master's students

If you're a Bachelor's or Master's student coming from abroad, you may need a residence permit. This page tells you where to find the information that applies to you.

Students from outside the EU and EEA usually need a residence permit to study at Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences. The first step in any case is to apply to AUAS, then our Immigration Affairs team will contact you to guide you through the residence permit process, if it is required. 

Do I need a residence permit to study at AUAS?

The Netherlands' Immigration Service (IND) provides advice on whether you need a residence permit. Simply type in your nationality to see you if need a residence permit and what other steps may be required.

Check if you need a residence permit
(opens in new window)

How do I apply for an entry visa and a residence permit for study purposes?

AUAS Immigration Affairs applies for a residence permit and visa on your behalf - it is not something you can do yourself. Once you have enrolled at AUAS, Immigration Affairs will contact you to guide you through the process. Please visit the How to apply page to see how to enrol.

AUAS Immigration Affairs will send you the immigration procedure e-mail a few months before the degree programme starts, with all the necessary information. You will receive this e-mail on the following date:

  • For degree programmes (Bachelor's/Master's) that start in September, we will send an e-mail in May.
  • If you have not received an e-mail after 15 May, please contact us at immigration@hva.nl.

Can I prepare?

First of all it is important that you are fully enrolled at AUAS and have met all the enrolment requirements. You do not need to take any action before the beginning of May regarding the immigration procedure. However, you can prepare yourself in advance by following the next three steps:

1. See an overview of your immigration procedure
See an overview of the procedure that applies to you on the IND website(opens in new window)

2. Check the Costs page
Check the Costs page to see which payments you may need to make during the immigration procedure. These costs are necessary for the immigration procedure and for living in the Netherlands.

3. Check the Proof of financial means page
The Dutch Government requires all universities in the Netherlands to make sure that incoming students have access to sufficient funds to sustain themselves in the Netherlands during their studies.The Proof of financial means page will inform you about this requirement set by the Dutch Government and is therefore part of the immigration procedure but not a payment. This rule is applicable for all universities in the Netherlands. You will receive a refund of the proof of financial means when the immigration procedure is completely finalised.

4. Check if you need a tuberculosis test
Residents of some countries may need a proof of a negative tuberculosis result. The IND website(opens in new window) will inform you if this is the case for you.

Collect your residence permit

AUAS notifies you when your permit is ready. You must then make an appointment to pick it up from IND.

Find out how

More information

For more information read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

Further questions?

Contact AUAS Immigration Affairs