Immigration FAQs for prospective students

See our list of Frequently Asked Questions to answer your concerns about immigrating as a prospective AUAS student.

Do I need a residence permit?

Please use the online student immigration tool(opens in new window) to check whether you need a residence permit and/or an entry visa in order to study and legally stay in the Netherlands. If one of the following results appears in your personalised results you will need a residence permit:

  • Residence Permit for Study (TEV)
  • Residence Permit for Study (VVR)

How can I apply for my residence permit?                                                                

AUAS Immigration Affairs will apply for your residence permit on your behalf, you cannot do this yourself. Once you have been accepted as a Bachelor, Master or Exchange student, you will receive an email from AUAS Immigration Affairs with all the information you need to finalise the immigration procedure.

Please see the following pages for more information about the immigration procedure:

How can I collect my residence permit?

You will receive an e-mail from AUAS Immigration Affairs when your residence permit is ready for collection at the IND-office. This e-mail explains how you can schedule an appointment online. When going to the IND desk, don’t forget to bring your passport! Keep in mind that it is not always possible to visit an IND desk at short notice.

Even without your residence document, you have the rights associated with your residence permit. Your residence permit rights are in the letter with the decision on your application (kennisgeving). This letter will be sent to you by AUAS Immigration Affairs in the ‘immigration procedure update’ e-mail, as soon as we receive it from the IND.

Your residence document will remain at the IND desk until you have an appointment to collect it.


Only applicable if you have the nationality of one the following countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Vatican City, USA, South Korea and the United Kingdom.

For your residence permit, the IND requires your biometrics (passport photo, fingerprints and signature). If the IND needs your biometrics, AUAS Immigration Affairs will send you an e-mail with more information about how and when to schedule an appointment.

For more information, please visit the IND website(opens in new window).

What are the financial requirements to study at AUAS?                                                 

In order to study at AUAS you need to fulfil certain financial requirements. Check the Costs page to see which costs are applicable to you.

I transferred my Proof of financial means for living experses. How will I get my money back?                      

Once you have arrived in the Netherlands we advise you to open a Dutch bank account. After the first two weeks of your study programme we will send you a refund form. After you return this form it will take between 10-20 working days before you will receive the money into your account. We cannot speed up this process, so take enough money with you to sustain yourself in the first two months after arrival since the refund will take some time.

Will you apply for a residence permit for my partner and/or children? 

No, this is not possible unfortunately.  We only apply for a residence permit on behalf of the student. We unfortunately do not provide for additional immigration procedures for partners and/or children. The student can arrange this directly with the IND after arrival in the Netherlands and the student is therefore sponsor for family members.

Please be aware that a partner cannot work during the stay in the Netherlands. The family must therefore provide sufficient financial means to support itself during the entire study.

Check for more information.

Which study tresholds will I face during my studies?

Bachelor's and Master's students are bound by two thresholds concerning study progress. The first threshold is the binding study advice (BSA) which is applicable to the first and second year. The second threshold is the IND Threshold. If you do not meet both thresholds, your residence permit may be withdrawn. See the Maintain your residence permit page for more information.  

Can I travel freely during my studies?

With a valid residence permit and passport you can travel during your studies. You can travel freely through the Schengen Area, for every other country usual visa duties apply. If you are awaiting a procedure and you do not have a valid residence permit, you may need a return visa to re-enter the Netherlands. You must apply for a return visa directly with the IND. For more information please visit the website of the IND(opens in new window).

More questions?

You can use, an student imgration tool to access general information about studying in the Netherlands in a personalised way. You can find information about the immigration procedure and other important topics such as insurance and student finance.  

Student immigration tool