Logo Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences - link to home page

Frequently Asked Questions

Common questions received from incoming exchange students at the Faculty of Business and Economics.

These are the most common questions we receive from incoming exchange students at the Faculty of Business and Economics at Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences.

Once you've read them through and you still have questions, please contact us.

Email us
(opens in new window)

Questions overview

Here's a list of questions covered in this section. Scroll down to see their replies.

Exchange application


Accommodation and living costs in Amsterdam

Course curriculum

Studying at AUAS

Preparing your arrival in the Netherlands


Exchange application

How can I apply for an exchange at the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences?

First your home university needs to nominate you. After your nomination has been accepted, you will automatically receive instructions by email to submit your online application in the Students Come and Go Portal. See more information about how to apply, including admission requirements and deadlines.

What are the application requirements?

If you are nominated, you need to create and complete your own profile on our Students Come and Go (SCAGO) Portal. You need to (1) fill out the required information and (2) upload a copy of a valid passport or EU ID card (must be valid for your entire stay in The Netherlands) before the application deadline.

You are responsible to arrange health insurance covering the Netherlands and to upload this in your SCAGO profile in time before your arrival! 

Depending on your situation, the following documents are also required:

  • If required for a specific minor; proof of English language proficiency such as TOEFL, IELTS or other English language scores
  • If you have a non-EU nationality AND are currently studying with a residence permit at another EU university: please upload your residence permit as well in the section ‘Additional files’. For example: you are a student with the Chinese nationality studying at a university in Germany. Our immigration department will need a copy of your residence permit for Germany as it will make your visa process for the Netherlands easier

How do I get insurance in the Netherlands?

  • See this online insurance checklist.
  • We recommend AON insurance: https://www.aonstudentinsurance.com/students/en/
  • EU students do not need extra health insurance. They can obtain an European Health Insurance Card, which simplifies the process of receiving medical assistance during their stay in a European Union member state. Check with your insurance company/health service.
  • Use our overview for more information on insurance.

What are the nomination and application deadlines?

Nomination deadlines

  • The nomination deadline for the Fall semester is 10 April.
  • The nomination deadline for the Spring semester is 10 October.

Application deadlines

  • The application deadline for the Fall semester is 15 April.
  • The application deadline for the Spring semester is 15 October.

When will I know if I am accepted as an exchange student?

After you have submitted your application, the AUAS International Office will process your application in about 1-3 weeks. You will receive a confirmation email when your application is accepted.


I am an international non-EU student and need a residence permit for study purposes. What is the immigration process like?

Head to the AUAS immigration page. An important step in the immigration process is providing the proof of financial means. The AUAS immigration department will help you step-by-step during the immigration process. They will email you in May to provide more information about the process and the deadlines. They will apply for a residence permit for study purposes on your behalf.

What are the costs of the immigration process?

Check the overview of the immigration costs. You need to pay a fee for the Dutch Immigration Service and provide a proof of financial means. Please note that the proof of financial means is not a payment and is fully refunded to you after the start of your studies.

Accommodation and living costs in Amsterdam

How can I find accommodation in the Netherlands?

You can apply for accommodation through our AUAS housing department. See more information on the AUAS housing department website. You will receive an email inviting you to apply online for student housing about one month after your application is accepted.

What are the costs of living in the Netherlands?

Check here an indication of likely expenses and the costs of AUAS student housing.

Course curriculum

What courses can I choose as an exchange student?

Exchange students can choose either a 30ECTS minor or major programme(opens in new window) or choose individual courses(opens in new window).* 
* In the exchange course catalogue, please select the correct academic year and Faculty Business and Economics. We try to update this page as much as possible but the links may be outdated at times.

How and when do I enrol for courses?

A few weeks after the approval of your exchange application, you will receive an email inviting you to enroll for courses in the Students Come and Go portal. Check out the course enrolment checklist(opens in new window) to help you keep an overview.

  • Starting your exchange in Fall (September)? Course enrolment will be in May
  • Starting your exchange in Spring (February)? Course enrolment will be in November

Studying at AUAS

What is the level of education?

All courses available to exchange students are taught in English and at undergraduate/bachelor level. The exchange programme is aimed at students in their 3rd or 4th academic year. Some courses require or advice students to have some prior knowledge in the subjects before you can study them.    

What is the level of English?

We expect that exchange students have sufficient proficiency in English. It is not necessary to submit an official English certificate but we strongly advise that you have a min. B2 level. Students are unlikely to pass their exams or obtain the necessary credits if they do not possess this level of English.

What is the Dutch teaching style like?

  • The teaching style is interactive and student-centered
  • It focuses on teamwork which makes it easy to meet Dutch and other international students
  • A large part of our study programme is dedicated to working in groups and writing papers to analyse and solve specific problems

Where will the classes be taught?

Almost all classes are taught at the Corry Tendeloo Building (Fraijlemaborg 133, Amsterdam). A few minor programmes take place in the Wibauthuis (Wibautstraat 3b, Amsterdam).

Preparing your arrival in the Netherlands

What do I need to do before I arrive in the Netherlands?

You can find everything you need to do before or upon your arrival in the Netherlands on the Upon Arrival website.

Where can I get my Erasmus/Arrival/Learning Agreement form signed?

You can send any forms that you need to have signed to incoming.fbe@hva.nl. Before you send it, fill out the form as much as possible by yourself.

Please note:

  • Arrival forms are signed after the first official date of the semester has passed.
  • Learning Agreements are signed after the course schedules are finalized.

When do I need to submit my Erasmus/Arrival/Learning Agreement form?
The deadline to have any of these forms finalized is provided by your home university. From the AUAS side, we do not require any of these forms and have no deadline for you. If you're unsure about when you need to submit a form to your home university, please contact the International Office of your home university.

Contact information

Who can I contact if I have further questions?

If you have any further questions, please email the International Office at incoming.fbe@hva.nl.